Send change of address to:
- Post Office: Give forwarding address
- Subscriptions: Notice requires several weeks
- Friends & Relatives
Be sure to contact:
- Bank: Transfer funds, arrange check-cashing in a new city.
- Insurance: Notify of the new location for coverage (Life, health, fire, auto, homeowners).
- Automobile: Transfer car title registration; also driver’s license; state windshield sticker; motor club membership.
- Utilities: Gas, light, water, telephone, fuel, get a refund of any deposit made; arrange for immediate service in new town; arrange final reading and change of name for billing.
- Route Men: Change over services such as Laundry, paper boy, milk man.
- School: Ask for copies or transfer of children’s records.
- Medical: Ask Doctor, Dentist, Pharmacist for referrals; transfer needed prescriptions, eye glasses, X-rays, and records.
- Organizations: Transfer memberships (Houses of worship, clubs, and civic organizations); get a letter of introduction.
- Pets: Ask about regulations for licenses, vaccinations, tags.
And, don’t forget to:
- Empty freezer; plan use of foods.
- Defrost freezer-refrigerator. (Place charcoal to dispel odors.)
- Have appliances serviced for moving.
- Clean rugs or clothing, before moving; have them “moving-wrapped.”
- Check with your moving counselor: insurance coverage, packing and unpacking labor, arrival day, various shipping papers, method and time of expected payment.
- Plan for special care needs of infants.
- Plan garage sale.
And on moving day:
- Carry currency, jewelry, documents yourself; or use registered mail.
- Plan for transporting pets. (They are poor traveling companions if unhappy.) Make sure you can be found if they become lost.
- Carry traveler’s checks for quickly available funds.
- Tell close friends or relatives your route and schedule (including overnight stops). Use them as “message headquarters.”
- Double check closets, drawers, shelves (to be sure they are empty).
- Leave all old keys needed by new tenant or owners with agent or Realtor.